Description of activities
The Nida Fisherman’s Ethnographic Homestead, which is typical of the Curonian Spit, is on the shore of the lagoon in the southern part
of old Nida, in the former village of Haken (part of the village on the promontory in the lagoon).
The farmstead was built by local craftsmen in 1927, and consisted of two connected buildings, which was typical of the Curonian Spit, with a western annex that was later when the offspring of the family married and a new family settled next to the parents.
In the first half of the 20th century, a fisherman called Martin Purwin (1857-1943) lived with his wife and three children in the part of the farm where the fisherman’s ethnographic museum is today. Following the death of his wife in 1907, he married Ana Peleikis (1875-1951) from Preila, who brought her son Johan Peleikis (1905-1994). They had two more children. Subsequently, Johan took over his stepfather’s fishing business, and in 1932 he married Henrietta Kubillus (1909-1981) from Preila. The couple had five children, and in 1944 the family moved to northern Germany, like most of the population of the Curonian Spit.
The farmstead was severely damaged by drift ice in 1970. With strong south-easterly winds blowing, drift ice came dangerously close to the house, where the sleeping master of the household must have experienced a most unexpected ‘ride’ together with the house.
In 1973, conservationists from Klaipėda restored both the house and an outbuilding. A building facing the lagoon features an exhibition of a house interior from the turn of the 20th century, telling us about the everyday life of a fisherman on the Curonian Spit. The entire homestead-turned-museum reflects the old way of life of local fishermen.